Thursday, May 1, 2008

Things about work...

For the most part I love my job - - but I always tell people that it is either "the happiest or the worst place" in the hospital. One of those "worst" situations came up at work a few weeks ago... But this situation was even worse because it was an elective termination - - for a genetic condition that is NOT incompatible with life and I happen to know many, many human beings with this condition and they are some of the most joy filled, sweet people who bring a world of love and joy to those families who are blessed with their presence. However, it is a very serious condition which requires a lot of medical attention/intervention and it will forever change the lives of the families who take care of them.
This couple, middle-aged professionals, decided not to accept this life but chose to end it now around 20wks of pregnancy.
This situation was when I say it is the "worst place in the hospital" for the staff as well as the family. Yes, they were grieving the loss of their baby but, I had a hard time conjuring up very much sympathy because - they CHOSE to end their baby's life. Deciding that this baby wasn't "perfect enough" for their lifestyle? I don't know... I am tempted to say - I don't care... however, I have not walked in their shoes and I cannot judge them... though I secretly do.
I struggle with this - how do I follow obey the command to "judge not, least you be judged likewise" and still vehemently disagree with what someone chooses to do?
Any thoughts?

0 comments:

 
Creative Commons License
This work by premedrn is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License.