A Code Husky
Today I had a moment... one of THOSE moments... that out-of-body experience where you are watching yourself act and thinking of what SHOULD be happening and what NEEDS to be happening and WHY is it NOT happening???
With one... and then two hands... I was mashing above a laboring woman's pubic bone/on a baby's shoulder... trying desperately to dislodge it from above while the obstetrician frantically tried to "unstick" it from below, ultimately cracking a delicate clavicle in order to deliver a healthy and viable baby.
During these tense moments I was quickly trying to grow another arm/turn into ElastaGirl in order to quickly perform a few VERY significant actions simultaneously. 1. lower head of bed, 2. get mom's legs ALL the way back (MacRoberts Manuever), 3. HIT the call bell for HELP, please!! - - All while applying direct, focused pressure to a slippery belly.
Upon sucessfully depressing the call bell, I was rewarded with a cheerful "can we help you?", to which I managed to respond (not wanting to further alarm my already terrified parents, but, I REALLY needed another set of hands in case things got out of control!!) "Uh... DeborahWatson!!", as I heave-hoed on her belly.
My thinking was that: 1. The two nurses out at the desk, they know me well and we don't usually have to tell each other what to do... we just do it, we are a good team. and 2. If I call out during a delivery, it is MOST likely not just for fun.... it generally means something is not QUITE right and I need some assistance... POSTHASTE!!
Yeah... not so much today! My lovely co-worker sauntered down the hallway, arriving in the room as the 9lb + baby FINALLY slid out into the arms of the obstetrician.
Afterwards at the desk, I inquired as to why my peers didn't arrive sooner, they replied "well, you sounded so calm and you didn't say help or anything... you should've said something like... SHOULDERS!!"
Behind them, the obstetrician said "from now on we should call out Code Husky"...

1 comments:
YOU ARE SO MEAN! I AM GOING TO MY BLOG TO WRITE SOMETHING REALLY MEAN ABOUT YOU! HAAAAAAAAAAA!
Post a Comment