Friday, September 26, 2008

Just like riding a bicycle...tread water!!

So out of an oddly placed sense of achievement and prowess I agreed to pick up a 4hr hunk of a shift to help out the unit.
Hey, it was callback pay and although I haven't done newborn nursery for almost 3 years - I figured, how hard could it be to take a couple hours and kind of slip back into baby mode.
Hmmm...
I made the fundamental mistake of assuming that I would simply be "babysitting" for the last couple of hours of the shift.
Oh not to be!! I walked in to the vastly relieved faces of a very young, sweet but inexperienced agency nurse and the tech. Their first words were, "oh yes! so glad you made it, that takes care of it then! So glad you are here!"
Hmmm...
I stopped and smiled quizzically, thinking "oh lovely, what have I done to myself?"
Turns out there were not only 3 babies for me to care for but TWO other imminent deliveries awaiting my services on the L&D floor. Hmmm....
"Oh, okay then!! I need to get reaquainted with the paperwork and how things run then rather quickly!!"
And of course, nothing happens in a neat and orderly fashion when you need it to!! In the middle of the first delivery, one with deeeep variables and lowering baseline noted per strip for an extended period of time and then the ominous "get the luekhart-simpson forceps please" and the l&d nurse leaning back to whisper to me "I may need some suprapubic pressure from you". A nurse slips in and whispers in the obstetrician's ear, I briefly heard something about "...she is pushy, we need you". Hmmm....
I quickly finished assessing my newly arrived and mildly grunting baby, leaving my orientee to finish wrapping him and give him to his mom, to run to the next room not sure what to expect.
Less than 30 min after the first delivery the 2nd new life entered the world - quite sure that she 1. didn't like being harshly forced from her mum and 2. that she also wasn't so sure what to do with her lungs afterwards!!
After spending some time going back and forth from each room making sure the babies were handling well their transition into their new little lives, I quickly ran back to the nursery to set up warmers for our new arrivals. I then made floor rounds as quickly as possible, then back again to the nursery to jot down my notes and stats and then ran out to l&d to gather my chickies to be admitted and fully assessed in the nursery.
Wow!! My feet were SORE - I haven't done nbn in a long while and obviously my body didn't remember all that it required!! lol

0 comments:

 
Creative Commons License
This work by premedrn is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License.